Monday, 14 December 2015

The Rot Review


Review By
Patrick Scattergood

Written By
Mike Gillan

Art and Cover By
Janine Van Moosel

Published By
Self Published

Genre
Horror

Synopsis


The only thing more dangerous than the walking corpses, is the other survivors.

Mike Gillan, author of Untitled, brings you his debut zombie short The Rot.  Illustrated in full colour by Janine Van Moosel (City of Lost Souls)

Review

As you've probably guessed, I am a bit of a zombie comic book fan as both a writer myself and as a reader so when I heard that there was a short coming out that not only featured the flesh eating creatures that we all know and love, but was also illustrated by Janine Van Moosel from City of Lost Souls, I was all in for reading it.

Would the short story hold up with the expectation I held for it?  Most definitely yes.

I wasn't at all familiar with Mike Gillan's work before this but after reading this one, I'll definitely be checking more out as soon as I can get my hands on some.  The thing that really struck me about this story was that Gillan managed to fit a hell of a lot in to such a short reading time.  It's a really quick read but if you take the time to saviour both the art and the writing then there is a hell of a lot here to satisfy even the most ardent of zombie fans.  

There's a nice psychological slant to the story as well as a nice twist at the end too.  The one thing I would have liked to have seen more of would have been a little bit of development for the main female character but at the same time, the fact that you don't know anything about her works in it's favour because of the simple fact that you don't know what kind of a woman she is.

With a name like Van Moosel attached to the art work then you know you are going to get a very dark looking story and that's no different here yet one thing did strike me.  I'm very used to her stark black and white looking art work from the phenomenal City of Lost Souls series but here she's given us a dark, grimy looking art style but in full and rampant colour, gore and all.  I loved the superb use of viscera from the creatures down to the characters in the end of the story but I also loved the brilliantly chosen angles the she went for to show the action on the page.  Superb.

All in all, this short story is a great addition to the zombie genre.  There's a great balance between the fast writing style and the grimy art work that I really would love to see them team up again.

Well worth picking up by backing the Kickstarter campaign for the interesting sounding Untitled that you can back by clicking here!

Story 7.5/10
Art 8.5/10
Cover 8/10
Recommended 8/10
Overall 32/40

Keep up to date with the Untitled campaign by shuffling over to their Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment