Saturday, 20 September 2014

First World War Posters Review


Review By
Patrick Scattergood

Written By
Rosalind Ormiston

Foreword By
Gary Sheffield

Published By
Flame Tree Publishing

Genre
History, Art

Synopsis

An incredible collection of posters covering every aspect of the war and home fronts, with a foreword by renowned war historian Gary Sheffield.

Review

As a big fan of reading and learning about the two world wars, especially from the point of view of those who survived them, grabbing this book was a no brainer for me.  Not only did it sound like it was going to combine my love of the time period with my love of art, it also had a foreword by the renowned Gary Sheffield.

I have to admit that the foreword is one of the things that drew me to the book but when I started to read it, I found myself eager as a child at Christmas to get to see what posters they would include.

One of the things that surprised me was that while the writing side of the book doesn't take up a lot of the book, they really do cram a lot of information in.  You have all the bases covered here.  You have the story behind the styles of art used on the posters, a little bit of back story on the artists and even the reasoning why they used certain pictures of themes.  For a person with an interest in this time period, I found this very interesting and well worth picking up.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention some of the posters here.  Some of the posters included are ones that I've never seen before so that was a pleasant surprise.  Combined with the stories behind some of the posters, I found myself wanting to know more about the artists themselves and about the themes used.

Some of the posters here range from being influential to being beautiful but also being harrowing too.  You can really see the quality of the posters here and that shines through.  It's a bit sad in a way that this book is the first time in decades that some of these posters have been seen because they really deserve to be out there and being seen because they really do show just how life was back then.  That's something that everyone should be able to see and learn about that.

All in all, while it's true I would have liked to have seen a little more information included in the book I still really enjoyed getting to see the posters here so it's definitely a book that anyone with an interest in the First World War should pick up.

Presentation 7/10
Informative 7.5/10
Recommended 7.5/10
Overall 22/30

No comments:

Post a Comment