Sunday, 22 June 2014

The Bestiary Review


Review By
Patrick Scattergood

Written, Art and Cover By
Barend Harris

Published By
Barend Harris

Genre
Fantasy, Art

Synopsis

The Bestiary is a collection of illustrations and descriptions of imaginary creatures and mythical beasts.

Review

During my time having a wander through the various displays and things at the Leicester Comic Convention, I had the pleasure of bumping in to the artist Barend Harris.

I was drawn to his work while looking at some of the Leicester Illustrator Group's pictures that were on display at the Crumblin' Cookie and noticed he had a comic book for sale so that one soon went in my bag to have a look at on the way home.

One of the things that struck me was that it kind of reminded me of my childhood in a way.  You used to be able to get these amazingly illustrated books, sometimes when you joined book clubs and such, that would tell you all about creatures in the fantasy genre and I absolutely loved them.

The Bestiary takes that approach and I thought it was absolutely brilliant.  The art inside the collection ranges from a child like cartoon style to some brilliantly detailed, slightly off kilter style.  My personal favorite of the book were the pictures of the Tree Wights.  They had a bit of a Pan's Labyrinth feel to them.

Looking through this one with my little lad, it really struck me that this is a book that we came come back to again and again.  The various styles of art and the descriptions of the creatures under them really made this an interesting one to read.  It had a bit of an old fashioned charm to it while adding a few creatures near the end that tied in with the modern world.

Definitely well worth picking up.

Story 7.5/10
Art 8.5/10
Cover 8/10
Recommended 8/10
Overall 32/40

For more information about this title and the artist himself, please visit his site www.barendharris.com

No comments:

Post a Comment