Saturday, 3 May 2014

G.I. Joe: Special Missions Issue 6 Review


Review By
Patrick Scattergood

Written By
Chuck Dixon

Art By
Will Rosado
Aburtov & Grafikslava

Lettering By
Neil Uyetake

Cover By
James Biggie

Published By
IDW

Genre
Action, Military

Synopsis

After a MARS Industries satellite crash lands in the Australian Outback, Beachhead leads a G.I. Joe team to the vast desert to hunt down the wreckage.

With Spirit as the team's guide, they inch closer and closer to the crash site, only to descover that the Dreadnoks, a vicious biker gang led by Zartan, have already taken it.

Beachhead, Tripwire and Hard Drive are captured while resting for the night and Zartan digs in to the satellite...

Review

I must admit that I haven't really been all that much of a big fan of the G.I. Joe comics either from the classic era or from the recent one.  I will read them but I don't enjoy them enough to go out of my way to grab them.  That's when someone recommended the 'Special Missions' stories to me.

After going to the Free Comic Day event held at my local comic book store today, I had a bit of a rummage in the back issue bargain bin and found a couple in there for next to nothing and figured I would give them a go at the very least.

I spent a little bit of time reading the first few issues to play catch up, thanks to one of my friends lending me them, and them jumped in to this 6th issue.

Well, after reading it I have to admit that I am definitely a convert to the 'Special Missions' issues.  

The fast pace and interesting characters really hooked me in.  Normally I find the G.I. Joe stories a little too cluttered and sometimes slightly disjointed but here, they stick to their points running the mission of Roadblock and Spirit trying to find their missing team members all while we get to see some more of Zartan and his alliance with the biker gang.  I found myself wanting to know more about the characters and more about Zartan's scheme.

One of the small problems I found was the simple fact that if you hadn't read any of the previous issues then you would be very lost.  In fact, if I hadn't have borrowed a couple of the previous issues then I might not have made out the storyline.

That said, the writing is very well paced and does a great job of putting forward the urgency felt by Roadblock and Spirit while trying to find their team.  Dixon has crafted an interesting story that will definitely hook in the fans of G.I. Joe.

With the art, while I loved the clear and sharp lines and art of the team here, I would have preferred a slightly grittier look to the story but maybe we should just chalk that up to a personal preference on my part.  The issue that I managed to get my hands on was the variant cover with art by James Biggie.  The bright, lurid art is one of the things that really grabbed my eyes and drew me in to wanting to at least give it a go.

All in all, this was a pretty good issue and definitely made me want to jump in and get some more of them.  Considering that I'm not that big a fan of the other G.I. Joe titles, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this title.  Like I said earlier, maybe a grittier tale on the art itself would have made the story a little bit more gripping but that's just personal tastes.  Well worth picking up, especially if you're a 'Joe' fan.

Story 7.5/10
Art 7.5/10
Cover 7.5/10
Recommended 7.5/10
Overall 30/40

No comments:

Post a Comment