Monday, 19 August 2013

An Interview With Nicole Bresner, Author of 'Fury (Conception)'


Nicole Bresner, author of the superb book 'Fury (Conception)' has popped in to speak to Patrick Challis at Curiosity of a Social Misfit to talk about her new book, her art and more!

PC:   How would you describe your book to someone not familiar with your writing?

NB:  Fury (conception) is a revenge story above all else.  The idea of vengeance as one of the most primal motivations for a character's actions has always intrigued me, specifically the premise that the need to avenge a loss can be powerful enough to skew the moral compass of an otherwise ordinary person, to alter the core of their belief system so deeply as to change them into a different person altogether.  That is the story of Marceline.  A mother's grief and despair are ultimately transformed into violence and questionable sanity.
My writing style, I think, vascililates between intensely emotional and descriptive passages, and very concise scenes of dialogue and action.

PC:  Your book ‘Fury (Conception)’ has a very dark feel to it.  What inspired you to create the story?

NB:  I started writing Fury (conception) when I was a single mother for several years.  I had two young girls and has to fight very hard to support them, to keep them with me, and to raise them in a safe environment.  I had very few resources and it was a constant and terrifying struggle. I think my maternal and survival instincts were in overdrive and I just started drawing and writing (to no end in particular at the time) what was eventually to become Fury (conception).  It was an outlet and a reflection of my life as it was.

PC:  Do you have a favorite character in the book at all? 

NB:  My favorite character is PepperPink.  I love that she's a woman in what is typically a male-centered field and that she's the best computer hacker the in the underground.  Aside from her being a fugitive, I'd love for my girls to be like her when they're older.  She has a spunky, confident attitude, and you know nobody will ever get the better of her.  She rocks and she knows it.

PC:  When you were writing ‘Fury’ did you have any quirks or traditions that you followed?

NB:  The only tradition I had was that on the rare occasions when my husband and I could get a sitter, we would go to our favorite pub, have drinks at the bar, and bounce ideas for the story off each other.  He was very helpful to me in the brainstorming process and we had a lot of fun as well.  Other than that, no superstitions or unusual creative rituals- except maybe a HUGE obsession with backing up my work every time I even changed a punctuation mark.

PC:  Are there any authors out there today that you feel have inspired your writing?

NB:  Neil Gaiman is a huge inspiration.  I don't think my writing style mirrors his directly in any way, but The Sandman is a perfect and classic example of a comic also being intellectual and extremely dark.  There are so many different genres within comics and graphic novels and I wanted to do something with a little meat behind it.  Also, David Mack's The Alchemy inspired me in a similar way.  The artistic layout is atypical and the writing is very intense and thought provoking.  It showed me there is no one formula to creating an artistic story.

PC:  I really liked the art used in the book.  What inspired you to illustrate the book instead of having a straight up novella?

NB:  There was no conscious decision to write a novella and add artwork.  Everything happened simultaneously.  I just drew and wrote and drew and wrote and one day started mixing it all together.  At first there wasn't even the intention to ever let anyone else see it.  That happened much later as the story starting actually becoming something.

PC:  Your art style is very stylized and unique, which really fits in with the dark feel of the story.  How would you describe your style to a newcomer to your work?

NB:  My art style is stark and simple.   I love lines.  I love black and white.  I love using as little detail as possible to convey the most emotion, hinting at the bigger picture without trying to be photo-realistic.  Most of my art, even pieces that aren't in Fury, tend to have a darker theme to them.  It's just what I gravitate towards.

PC:  What’s next for Nicole Bresner?

NB:  I would love to do a traditional sequential comic and have a few projects I'm working on.  I also would like to find the time to do more fan art and commissions. I love collaborating with clients on commissions to make something special for them.  It's a fun process. 
My daughters (there are 3 now) are also getting into art and comics and I want to encourage that as much as I can, by teaching them and through example.

PC:  'Fury (Conception)' is available to buy from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment