Wednesday, 24 July 2013

The Guild: The Official Companion Review

Review By Patrick Challis

Introduction By Felicia Day

Published By Titan Books

Genre
Television Show Tie-In

Synopsis

Since launching in 2007, the comedy web series The Guild has become an Internet phenomenon, with over 150 million views. Created, written by and starring Felicia Day, it follows the story of a Guild of online gamers who finally meet in real life. Here at last is the official companion to the show that fans have been waiting for, featuring an intro from Felicia, in-depth interviews and scores of photos.

Josh Whedon commented, "Her mind works faster than mine ever will and her mouth works faster than that. Felicia's career will go where she decides it will. Plus, she'll probably rule Asia and invent a new color. I fear her."

Review

I have to admit that before I read this book, I wasn't all that familiar with 'The Guild' but after I'd read it, I became a fan.

I mean here was a show about people that were in to the same sort of things as I am, are geeky like me and go to the same sorts of things as I do.  Then I read the book and it  turned out the people here were mostly the same as they were on the screen and looked like they were having a hell of a lot of fun.

There is a bit of everything in this book.  Photographs,  behind the scenes information, in depth interviews and so many different stories behind the making of the series itself that you can't help but get swept up in it all.  It honestly looks as if they have had the time of their life making the show and that's evident in the writing here.  The interviews are funny, informative and very heartfelt.

If you have never seen the show or maybe if you have even never heard of it before, don't let it put you off of buying this book.  However, if you are a fan of the show or of the superb Felicia Day then you are most definitely in for a treat.  There is so much here that you can sink your teeth in to that there is a very big chance that you can read this book more than once and still find new things.

Well worth picking up.

Presentation 4/5
Informative 4.5/5
Recommended 4.5/5
Overall 13/15

No comments:

Post a Comment