Wednesday, 3 July 2013

The Complete Chronicles of Narnia By C.S. Lewis Review

Review By Patrick Challis

Written By C.S. Lewis

Published By Grafton

Genre
Fantasy

Synopsis

Experience all of The Chronicles of Narnia in full color in this seven-book paperback box set. Readers of all ages--whether they are experiencing Narnia for the first time or returning once again to the magical world--will love seeing the creatures and landscapes of C. S. Lewis's classic fantasy series.

The Chronicles of Narnia have enchanted millions of readers for over sixty years, for here is a world where a witch decrees eternal winter; where there are more talking animals than people; and where battles are fought by Centaurs, Giants, and Fauns.

This box set includes all seven titles in The Chronicles of Narnia--The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe;The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; and The Last Battle--with illustrations by Pauline Baynes, the original artist.

Review

I grew up both listening to these stories being read to me by my parents and then reading them myself.  When I saw that I could get the box set of all seven novels for such a cheap price, I couldn't wait to order it and then read it to my son.

It was definitely worth the wait.

The stories are here in all their glory from very beginning right up to final climactic battle for all of Narnia itself.  The stories are still as powerful today as they were back when they were first published.

The characters are so likeable, the stories are gently paced yet with some superb moments of humor, fun and excitement.  The way that my little lad was absolutely held in thrall of 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe', because I'd told him about Mr Tumnus and he wanted that one first, made this worth every single penny on a personal level.

I honestly don't know what more I can say about this set.  It's a set of some of the best stories that I have ever heard as a child and ever had the pleasure of reading to my child as an adult.

The only complaint that I have about these sets is that the black and white pictures can sometimes seem a little blurry on a few pages here and there so it could be worth springing for the version with the colour versions of the pictures if you are quite visual when reading to your child.

Well worth picking up these classic stories.

Story 5/5
Characters 5/5
Recommended 5/5
Overall 15/15

No comments:

Post a Comment