Friday, 19 July 2013

Dr Seuss's The Cat in the Hat: Live Show Review

Review By Patrick Challis

Adapted By Katie Mitchell Based on the Book By Dr Seuss

Directed By Katie Mitchell

Genre
Play, Comedy, Family

Watched On Netflix

Cast

Angus Wright as The Cat in the Hat
Justin Salinger as Brother / Narrator
Helena Lymbery as Sally
Mark Arends as The Fish
Luisa Guerreiro as Thing 1 / Mini Cat in the Hat
Sandra Guerreiro as Thing 2 / Mini Cat in the Hat

Synopsis

The National Theatre's production of "The Cat in the Hat" is a lively, engaging performance for children of all ages.

Based on the much-loved storybook by Dr. Seuss, this tale is colorfully adapted for the stage by director, Katie Mitchell.

Review

After the awful movie starring Mike Myers as 'The Cat in the Hat' that had none of the charm of the book, I've always been rather wary of any other adaptations.  Dr Seuss has always been a hard style to replicate to varying degrees of success so when I found this on Netflix, I figured I'd give it a go as my four year old son absolutely loves the Dr Seuss stories and 'The Cat in the Hat' is one of his favourites by far.

For a stage show with minimal scenery and settings, the cast and the director, Katie Mitchell, do a truly fantastic job of recreating the chaotic yet fun nature of the story.  Where the movie version just went for sheer chaos and anarchy without the charm or fun nature of of the original, the stage show doesn't suffer any such problems.  In fact, the cast truly work their butts off to engage the audience and create a great sense of fun and imagination.

The best part of the play by far is the 'balancing on the ball' scene in that I really wasn't sure how on Earth they could recreate that yet it looked fantastically fun and made my little lad laugh like crazy.

All in all, if you have Netflix or even get a chance to see this show live then you should definitely give it a go.  It's much better than the movie attempt and has all of the charm, imagination and excitement of the book itself.  If you enjoyed the live show version of 'The Gruffalo' that came out a couple of years ago then you will definitely love this one too.  I know my little lad did.

Show 4/5


"I Like's This One.  Cat in the Hat is My Favourite.  I Gives It 5!"

No comments:

Post a Comment