Monday, 18 March 2013

Alfie: Alfie's Shop by Shirley Hughes Review

Written By Shirley Hughes

Genre
Children's

Synopsis

Play shop with Alfie and Annie Rose!

Alfie discovers an exciting world in his back garden.

Join Alfie as he finds out about the magical games you can play out-of-doors...

Review

As part of World Book Day, this book by Shirley Hughes was released and sold for the grand total of £1 so I snapped it up quickly.

While reading this short, simple but very beautiful story to my little lad, I noticed that he was hanging on every single word.  There are no clever rhymes, no witty word play.  It's just a nice story about a little boy who is playing in the garden with his little sister.

In fact it's a really sweet story about the way that a child can use their imagination to make even the simplest thing in to something wonderful.

The writing is beautiful in it's simplicity and has a classic charm to it.  To be honest, it reminded me of the kinds of stories that I was read as a child so it was a real treat to be able to read something similar to my little lad.

The art here has a beautiful, old fashioned feel to it.  Kind of like putting on a comfortable pair of  slippers.  I loved looking through the pictures with my son and listening to him as he pointed out the various things that he saw and liked.

All in all, this was an absolutely brilliant find and one of the reasons that I absolutely love World Book Day.  You can get books that you might not normally buy super cheap or even free if you have one of the coupons that are sometimes given out.

Story 4/5
Characters 4/5
Recommended 4/5
Overall 12/15



"I like the boy, he play shops in garden with mummy"









No comments:

Post a Comment